top of page
  • Writer's pictureChris

What Is a CO...And How Do You Get One?

Today is a pretty good day...our newest listing in Howell has passed through the inspection contingency phase and's time to apply for the CO (Certificate of Occupancy).

In the short video below, we talk about what one is, and how to get one. If you aren't a video watcher, let me type it out as briefly as I can.

A CO essentially is the town certifying that the home is of livable condition. Lenders cant inspect every home so they want to make sure they are lending money on a home that the buyer can actually occupy. This lessens the possibility of default in the future. NOTE* If you are selling your home and do not secure a CO, the lender working with your buyer will not fund the loan, meaning you won't get your money. So don't try and skate by here.

Now, onto what they actually entail. Towns used to have their own proprietary lists of what they inspect. This would vary to siding uniform and in good shape, no broken windows, railings are sturdy and painted, you get the drift. But what ended up happening was this was too much to check and the town inspectors were racing all over town inspecting, and often reinspecting, homes for resale. This birthed the fire certificate.

Still referred to as a CO, the towns now just primarily look for a fire extinguisher (dated within one year), a smoke detector (sealed 10 year battery or hardwire) and smoke/carbon monoxide dectectors (same sealed 10 year battery or hardwired) near the bedrooms.

Your town may vary. Some require chimney certifications for fireplaces. Some still (Asbury Park and Bradley Beach for example) still have long lists as well as smoke certificate requirements, so it's best to check with your town well before your closing.

Until next week, be good to each other and have a great day on purpose!

13 views0 comments
bottom of page